Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Real Cornbread

Corn Bread is one of Amberly's favorite foods so I have become quite the corn bread expert. The secret to making a great corn bread is creamed corn and buttermilk. I like my corn bread moist and with little bits of corn. I know this recipe calls for baking it the traditional way, in a pan, but I ussually make muffins and I spray the muffin tin really well with Pam and just reduce the cooking time. I also like to smother them in my special honey butter but I will share that recipe later.
Corn Bread

2 cups cornmeal, yellow or white
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup buttermilk
3 large eggs
1 can ( 15 ounces) cream-style corn
4 tablespoons butter, melted



Preparation:
Grease a 9-inch square baking pan. Heat oven to 425°.
Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and eggs; stir in the cream-style corn and melted butter. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until blended. Spoon into the prepared baking pan.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown and the cornbread springs back when lightly touched with a finger

1 comment:

  1. Who knew I had a nephew with his own cooking blog? The muffins look great. I just made some from a mix this week. I'll have to make a batch of these and compare them!

    While you're posting recipes, I'm always looking for the world's best breakfast casserole! It would have to include eggs to be a contender, but everything else is fair game!

    ReplyDelete